Hot Flashes. Mood Swings. Insomnia. Low Sex Drive. Depression.
And these are just some of the symptoms of menopause. Reading the entire list of symptoms out loud feels like reading a sentence for a crime you didn’t commit.
But we assume you already know the symptoms.
So let’s put that aside and focus on what you really want: symptom relief.
39% Of Women Who Use Cannabis Say Menopause Is One Of The Main Reasons
- According to a survey by BDS Analytics, 39% of female cannabis users use the plant to treat symptoms related to a mental health problem, menstruation or menopause.
- 37% of women in the same survey said cannabis gave them more control over their health.
Why Women Use Cannabis To Treat Menopause
They Want a Natural Remedy
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is a treatment often prescribed for postmenopausal women.
- But two studies from the Women’s Health Initiative have shown that HRT can increase the risk of breast and lung cancer.
- Women who are at risk for both cancers can choose treatment without HRT. This includes prescription drugs such as Effexor, Prozac, and Gabapentin.
- However, patients taking these drugs may experience unwanted side effects such as weight gain, bowel problems, and sexual dysfunction.
Cannabis can really help (and has more manageable side effects)
- Cannabis works directly with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for helping to maintain the body’s homeostasis. The endocannabinoid system is also responsible for controlling our moods, pain sensations, appetite and fertility.
- According to IMPACT Network, a non-profit organization partly dedicated to educating women about the medical benefits of cannabis, the endocannabinoid system is linked to the production of estrogen.
- They noted a link between low levels of estrogen and low levels of endocannabinoids, which are essential for the endocannabinoid system to function properly.
- More research needs to be done, but these connecting links may be the reason women experience physical and emotional relief when they use cannabis to treat menopause.
- The theory is that cannabis can help the endocannabinoid system regulate itself, thereby alleviating menopausal symptoms.
- Cannabis can also replace non-HRT prescription drugs, giving patients less severe side effects.
Using Cannabis To Treat Menopause
- IMPACT Network recommends the daily consumption of cannabis to stabilize hormone levels.
- Try edibles to help you sleep at night. Your mileage may vary in dosage, but if you are a new user, 5-10mg should be sufficient.
- If you find yourself needing an edible dose of less than 10 mg, look for products that you can easily break in half and split into pieces.
- As always, you should consult a doctor before using cannabis to treat any medical condition.
SHOP OUR WIDE RANGE OF MEDICAL MARIJUANA STRAINS